The Old (and Older) Algiers Courthouse
Algiers is the only section of the city of New Orleans located on the West Bank of
the Mississippi River.  The oldest part of the community, Algiers Point, sits directly
across the river from the French Quarter.
The link to a page describing the old Duverje Chapel and Cemetery can be found
at the bottom of the page, along with another page of vintage photos of Algiers.
-- Nancy
In 1812, Bartholomy Duverge constructed a large plantation home on current-day
Morgan Street.  In 1866, the mansion became the community's courthouse.  It served
in this capacity for 29 years, until it was destroyed in the great Algiers fire of 1895.
Algiers was incorporated as a city in 1840, but it was annexed into the city of New
Orleans in 1870.  Most of the gingerbread-fronted cottages seen in the neighbor-
hood today date from the community's rebuilding, which started immediately after
the 1895 fire, although a few older buildings survive.
Above, the old Duverje mansion, in use as Algiers Courthouse, 1891;
the sketch at the top of the page is, also, of the Duverje house.
The "new" Algiers Courthouse, constructed in 1896,
is pictured above in the 1940's.
Current photo
Moon rises behind the Algiers Courthouse.
The tower of the courthouse can be seen behind one of the
neighborhood's quaint gingerbread-trimmed cottages.
The sketch at the top of the page is from "The Story of Algiers: 1718-1896,"
published in 1896.  The photograph of the Duverje house is courtesy of
Infrogmation @ Wikimedia Commons.