St. Bernard Parish, LA
|Top of page, 1815 cannons, with Beauregard house in background; above,
Malus-Beauregard house, currently used as the Chalmette Battlefield's
Visitor and Interpretive Center, while a new Center is being built.
|The Beauregard home, which sits on the Chalmette Battlefield, site of the 1815 Battle
of New Orleans, was constructed approximately 18 years after the battle, in about 1833
(exact date is uncertain). Its appearance has changed since it was first built.
|Fermamdez e Lineros in 1866; then to Rene Beauregard in 1880. Rene (son of Gen.
P.G. T. Beauregard) and his family owned the property until 1904, when it was sold
to a railway system, the N. O. Terminal Company. The house went into serious
decline and was unlivable when the National Park Service purchased it in 1949.
|The home was originally more French Colonial than Greek Revival, but as Greek
Revival grew in popularity in Louisiana, many houses were renovated in that style.
It was constructed for the Widow Malus; sold to a Madame Cantrelle in 1856; to
|The restoration of the home has stressed the mid-1800's period of its history.
|The home was owned by the Beauregard family
when this photograph was taken in 1890.
|The house is in bad shape by the time the photo
above and the two below were taken in the 1930's.
|Above, front; below, rear of house; notice the cistern on the right below.
|The historic home was rescued by the National Park Service
and restoration occurred in the late 1950's.
|The vintage photos on this page are courtesy of the Library of Congress
and the current photos are courtesy of WallyG @ FlickrCreativeCommons
and Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve.
|The link to this page is:
Other pages you might enjoy:
Kenilworth Plantation, St. Bernard Parish
Back to Old New Orleans
Whispers - Home