|Vintage City Park Photos and Brief History
|Popp Bandstand, 1920's
|Popp Bandstand; constructed in 1917; John Phillip Sousa
performed here in 1928; above, 1939; below, 2008.
|One of City Park's arch bridges, above in 1942; below, today.
(Many thanks to JoAnn Randall for the photo below.)
|The City Park Avenue entrance; above, 1900, below, 2007.
|Wisner Avenue entrance; left, early 1900's; right, 1920's
|Some photos on this page are courtesy of the Library of Congress.
The link to this page is: http://old-new-orleans.com/NO_City_Park_Photos.html
The Hyams Wading Pools
The City Park Peristyle
Vintage City Park Photos, 1899-1913
Click here for interactive movie of City Park Carousel.
Back to Old New Orleans
Whispers - Home
|Left, aerial view of WPA's newly completed City Park Stadium, 1940's; right, poster for the Beatles' concert
held there, 1964. The stadium was later renamed Tad Gormley Stadium. After flooding damaged the field
in 2005, Saints football player, Reggie Bush, donated over $80,000 to repair the field so high school teams
could continue to play there; in his honor, the playing field is now known as Reggie Bush Field.
|Wisner Avenue entrance; left, 1936; above, 2007.
|City Park photographer, 1941
|Hyams Fountain & Wading Pool, "Given to the little children of New Orleans" by
Sara Hyams, constructed in 1914; the fountain is now a part of the Carousel Garden.
|Irby swimming pool, constructed 1924.
|Felix Dreyfous reads through minutes of
Park Improvement Association, 1941; a
street in the park is named after Mr.
Dreyfous, an original member of the group.
|The first carousel debuted in City Park in 1897 -- it was pulled by mules! In 1906, this
magnificent mechanical carousel was acquired. It's one of only 100 antique wooden
carousels still in operation in the United States. It was painstakingly restored after the
2005 flood damaged it. Many thanks to Susan McNeill, for the carousel photos.
|A WPA-constructed bridge in City Park, 2008.
|New Orleans Museum of Art, in City Park, is shown above when it was called Delgado Museum of
Art, ca. 1920's. The museum was established in 1911, with a bequest from Isaac Delgado.
|A few of City Park's oaks.
[This photo and the one below are thanks to Louis Wiltz.]
|City Park train winds under the hanging moss of the ancient oaks.