|Fire station, Esplanade Avenue, built 1840's.
|Fire Prevention parade on Canal Street, 1957
|Blaze that destroyed old Senator Hotel, 1968
|Annual Fire Department Inspection at Jackson Square, 1967
|Entering St. Louis Cathedral, annual Fire Department Inspection, date unknown
|New Orleans Fire Department:
A Look Back
|Firemen and equipment in front of the Municipal Auditorium
|Filmore Leauge All-Stars, Baseball Champs, 1975
Photo taken by Chief C. Mickal at the Irish Channel Rec Center.
Top row, l to r: Donald Schulz, Bruce Dupre, Milton Helmke, Joe Buras, Joe
Rigny (Coach of the Year)
Bottom row, l to r: Eddie Austin, John Gallagher, Angelo Marchese, Tony
Labella, Norvin Galliano, Terry Smith (Most Valuable Player)
Donal Schulz, District Chief, still active; Bruce Dupre retired as a Captain in 1986
from Engine 26; Milton Helmke retired as an Operator from Engine 18; Joe
Buras, Deputy Chief, still acative; Joe Rigny retired as a Captain from Engine 31,
now a department counsellor; Eddie Austin retired as a Captain from the Flying
Squad; John Gallagher retired as a Captain from Ladder 5; Angelo Marchese
retired as a Provisional Chief, is a training chief with JPFD; Tony Labella retired
as a Firefighter from Engine 33; Norvin Galliano retired as a District Chief 505
Plt 3 in the late 1970's; Terry Smith retired as a Captain from Engine 27 Plt 2 in
the early 1990's.
With much appreciation to Captain Donald Schulz and Captain David Ashburn
for sharing the names and information above.
|Firemen's Cemetery, early 1900's
|Watch Desk, Central Fire Station, 1957; shows new teletype receiver
and old alarm instruments about to be discarded
|Dedication of new fire station at
Egania and N. Galvez Streets, 1958
|Fire Company, early 1900's
|Putting out a blaze on Canal Street, about 1905.
|28 Mack 1944; in service at
Elysian Fields Avenue station, 1963
|Engine 53, American LaFrance, 1922; kept at
Engine 4, Chef Menteur Hwy., 1963
|New engines, Jeff Davis and Baudin, 1956
|WPA "Summer Showers" Program: During the summer months, twice a week, at 29 locations,
the WPA and local firemen sponsored "Summer Showers" for the children of New Orleans.
Above left: "Anticipation" 1938; Above right: Engine House 26, S. Broad, 1939
|Engine 62, Ford LaFrance, 1944; kept in
Engine 35's quarters, N. Carrollton, 1963
|This firehouse was built in 1841.
|Fire Wagon, 1882
|Canal Street, about 1917