|Illinois Central Railroad - Stuyvesant Docks
|Dedication of the Illinois Central Gulf Intermodal Facility,
Stuyvesant Docks, New Orleans, 1973
Front Row: Ray Pierce, Benny Roser, J. Foucheaux, Frank Moran, Joe
Arrigo, Dale Wakefield, Fred Flowers, Walter April, Elgin Pino, Carlos Green
Second Row: Fred Bullinger, Richard "Dick" Rushing, Larry Rossen, Bill
Geserick, Ray Renton, W. Hendrick, _____ George Stern, Jerry Goetz,
J. W. "Pel" Hughes, John Fusco
|Most of the material on this page was submitted by Fred Bullinger,
who has shared so many excellent photos with the site. The Illinois
Central Railroad's Stuyvesant Docks are located on Tchoupitoulas
Street, bounded by Napoleon and Louisiana Avenues.
The photo descriptions are Fred's.
|Photo at top of page: Stuyvesant Docks on the river, after Illinois Central RR relocated
their piggyback facility from Mays Yard. They did this because of the change from rail
cars to containers when piggyback service took over the imports and exports traffic.
|Above: Illinois Central RR engines which did the switching of the export and import cars for
delivery to and from the New Orleans Public Railroad. During WWII, Stuyvesant Docks was
known as the "Battle Grounds" because of the large volume of U.S. export millitary cargo.
|Left to right, Archie Phipps (Senior Trainmaster), Fred Bullinger (National Account Manager) and Harry
Bruce (CEO of the Railroad). Mr. Bruce traveled from Chicago to the railroad's piggy back intermodal
facility to announce that the railroad was changing the name back to Illinois Central Railroad, 1988.
|The link to this page is:
Another page you might enjoy:
History of Camp Plauche/Elmwood Industrial Park
Back to Old New Orleans
Whispers - Home
|Stuyvesant Docks, 1900