|The Jung Hotel
|The Jung Hotel, pictured above in 1939, first opened its doors in 1907 as the Hotel New
Orleans. In 1920's, it became the Jung. Another section was added at that time and, then,
in the 1960's, still another. At one time, it was labeled as the largest convention hotel in the
South. It was called the Jung for more than 75 years and, afterward, it was known as the
Clarion, Raddison and Park Plaza. It was heavily damaged in the levee failures of 2005 and
remained closed for a long while. However, it was renovated and it's once again open as
the Jung Hotel, a luxury hotel, offering both rooms and residences.
|Looking at the Jung from Marais Street, 1931.
|Above, the Tulane Room; below, the Cotillion Lounge; both ca. 1940's.
|Two Jung Hotel ads, ca. 1940's; above,
Jung Winter Roof Dancing, featuring Jill
Dean and the Ray Teal Orchestra.
|Pictured with its new addition in 1969. Description reads: "New Orleans' largest
hotel, 1,200 attractive rooms and suites, magnificent Grand Ballroom, Exhibit Hall,
rooftop swimming pool. Located in the heart of America's most interesting city."
|1931 photo is courtesy of NOAA Photo Library.
The link to this page is:
Another page you might enjoy:
Old New Orleans Hotels
Back to Old New Orleans
Whispers - Home