|This photo was labeled "Old Post Office, Carrollton and Maple" and dated 1957.
|Out and About
|City Park entrance on Carrollton Avenue, 1938
|Now The Cornstalk Hotel, this home on Royal Street was built
in the early 1800's by Francois-Xavier Martin, a native of
France. He authored the first history of Louisiana and was the
second chief justice of the Louisiana Supreme Court. The
cornstalk fence is one of the most photographed tourist stops
in the French Quarter. Left and above, as the house and fence
looked in 1941; below, as they look today.
|The Famous Door on Bourbon Street, known for the number of famous people who have signed the front door.
Left, 1950's; right, Sharkey Bonano and his Kings of Dixieland play at the Famous Door, 1940's.
|French Quarter home of a famous fencing
master of the early 1800's; photo ca. 1930
|Harmony Club, St. Charles Avenue, 1927
|Hebrew Center, St. Charles & Jefferson Avenues; this building was demolished
and the Jewish Community Center is now at this location; photo ca. 1950.
|Isaac Delgado Museum of Art, 1908; now the New Orleans Museum of Art
|Home of Isidore Newman, St. Charles Avenue, 1898
|Johnson Ironworks, Bayou St. John, 1918
|Arch placed on Canal Street for the 1922 Knight Templars Conclave held in the city.
|The link to this page is: http://old-new-orleans.com/NO_Out_and_About_3
Back to Old New Orleans
Out and About, Page 1
Out and About, Page 2
The Past Whispers - Home