|Pictures from the Past
|Bosworth-Hammond house, Washington Avenue; above left, picture taken in 1893;
above right, in 1963; below, photos of garden and kitchen.
|1436 Pauger Street, built in 1807; photo taken ca 1936
|Cabildo, left, and a close-up of its front gates, right. The Cabildo was built 1795-1799,
under Spanish rule; it sits to the right of St. Louis Cathedral, with the Presbytere to the
left of the Cathedral. These photos were taken in 1934.
|The oldest building in the French Quarter---in fact, the
oldest building in the Mississippi Valley---is the Old
Ursuline Convent (above), a part of the Archbishop
Antoine Blanc Memorial complex. The convent was
constructed in 1745. There was a previous building on
the site that was built in 1734, and the staircase, bottom
right, was taken from that building, as was the baptismal
font, bottom left. (But there is an artifact in the building
older than these, a clock which the nuns brought with
them from France in 1727, when they first came to New
Orleans.) These pictures were taken in 1936.
|On right, 1838 drawing of the Orleans Ball Room with
attached Orleans Theatre to its right. The opulent
Ball Room and Theatre opened in 1817 and for many
years they were the center of the city's society balls
and musical venues. The theatre eventually burned,
but the ballroom survived, later to become the home
of the Sisters of the Holy Family (notice the cross
still atop the building in the 1960 photo below). In
the 1960's, the nuns sold the building and the
ballroom was restored and became a part of the
luxurious Bourbon Orleans Hotel.
|Sketch of Jackson Square drawn in 1940 shows
Cabildo, St. Louis Cathedral & Presbytere
|The old prison, the Calabazo, in back of the
Cabildo; a prison during Spanish rule
|The Arsenal, built in 1839,
photo ca 1934
|Streetcars on Canal Street, 1907
|Presbytere, built some time between
1796-1805; photo ca 1934
|Workers at the Lane Cotton Mill, 1913
|Hauntings at the Bourbon Orleans
Guests and employees of the hotel have heard the
phantom sounds of children---possibly students of
St. Mary's Academy, who fell victim to one of the
city's Yellow Fever epidemics. The most frequently
reported tale is that a girl is seen rolling her ball
and chasing it down the sixth floor corridor. The
hotel may, also, be home to a uniformed
Confederate soldier, sighted roaming the corridors.
In the famous Orleans Ballroom, a dancer has been
spotted waltzing beneath the chandeliers.
|Beauregard-Keyes House, Chartres & Ursuline
|First mail plane lands in New Orleans, 1925
|This 1918 photo of Johnson Ironworks gives a good view of Bayou St. John
before houses were constructed all along its banks.
|Waifs Home, 1907