|The link to this page is:
Back to Old New Orleans
The Past Whispers - Home
|Sacred Heart Communion Class, 1943
|Sacred Heart Graduaion Class, 1945
|Sacred Heart - Softball Champs, 1943: Ikie Horn, George Krider, Jack Rovira, Frank Mulligan, Norman
Broussard, Donald Bunch, Andrew Spyrer, Bobby Howard. Joe Barrious, Billy Fretwell, Carl White, Tommy
Cooke, Beaine Barbare, Milton Surcorf, Fred Bullinger, Navail Surcorf, Jimmy Bullinger, Allen Smith
|Sacred Heart Track Team, 1945 - Sacred Heart track team won the Catholic League championship
six years in a row in the 1940's. Father Dolan was in charge of sports during those years.
|Many thanks to Fred Bullinger for sharing the vintage photos on this page. Fred has shared many
pictures with the Old New Orleans site - you can find them on the index page, listed under Bullinger Family
and, also, under Baseball in New Orleans. His contributions are always greatly appreciated.
|The first Sacred Heart Parish church building on Canal Street (a small, 3-room, combination church
and rectory) was dedicated in 1879. In its early years, the congregation was predominantly Irish. The
church was built on land donated by Patrick Burk O'Brien, a New Orleans cotton broker. In 1882, a
2-room schoolhouse was added. By this time, a new church, with a seating capacity of 300-400, had
been built. The present building was constructed in 1923. The school closed in 1998. Sacred Heart's
school and convent buildings are now used as an assisted living facility for seniors.
|Sacred Heart Church and School
|The steeple of Sacred Heart Church rises above the trees
on Canal Street, ca. 1917. This building was demolished
to make way for the new church sanctuary in 1923.
|Above and below, current photos of Sacred Heart Church and School.
These two photos are courtesy of Infrogmation at Wikimedia Commons.