|The Old Southern Athletic Club
Washington Avenue and Prytania Street
|Today, there's nothing to indicate that this interesting Moorish Revival
building was once one of the premiere athletic clubs in the South. It was
constructed in 1888, when the Southern Athletic Club was established.
|The link to this page is:
Back to Old New Orleans
Whispers - Home
|It's seen many uses since being sold by the club. For years, it was known
as Behrmann Gym and used by public school children; at one time, it was
used as a remote site for Benjamin Franklin High School's gym.
|Boxer, "Gentleman Jim" Corbett, trained here for his world championship
fight with John L. Sullivan in 1892.
|A few years ago, it was renovated and is now a private residence.