|Soule Business College
|In 1983, when it closed its doors, Soule was the oldest and most
respected business school in the South. Established in 1856,
by Col. George Soule, it was known to generations of New
Orleanians as the preferred doorway to a business career.
Accountants, business managers, executive secretaries --
thousands of students who walked its halls went on to
successful careers, in the city and across the country.
|The college's first home (pictured above) was a well-appointed
building across the street from Gallier Hall (used as City Hall at
the time) on St. Charles and Lafayette Street. In 1923, the school
moved to the Henry S. Buckner mansion on Jackson Avenue.
|Col. George Soule, ca. 1860's
|Ad on left, ca. 1885; ad above, ca. 1902
|The photo above and the ones below were all taken at Soule's last home on Jackson Avenue.
|Above, 1935; below, 1946
|Above & below, recent interior photos of the Buckner home/Soule school, now a private residence.
|Henry Sullivan Buckner made his fortune as a cotton factor. In the 1850's, he had this
mansion designed and constructed on Jackson Avenue, with an idea of out-doing the
famous Stanton Hall plantation house in Natchez. The luxurious house has galleries on
three sides, 48 fluted columns and an unusual cast-iron fence in a honeysuckle design.
|Some of the photos on this page are courtesy of: Infrogmation at
Wikimedia Commons, Ray Brown at Pinterest, and VRBO.
The link to this page is:
Back to Old New Orleans
Whispers - Home