|The Old Basin Canal
|Construction was started on the Carondelet Canal, popularly known as the Old Basin Canal,
in 1794. The canal began at Bayou St. John and went inland to an area behind the French
Quarter. The canal's turning basin was responsible for the naming of Basin Street. After the
Louisiana Purchase, the French Creole section was in competition with the American
section and, in the 1830's, American businessmen decided to construct their own canal - the
competing New Basin Canal. By the mid-19th century, the New Basin Canal was much
busier than the Old Basin Canal, although the old canal stayed viable into the 20th century.
During this later period, it was especially well known for its use by charcoal schoonerand
oyster luggers. But, by 1927, it was declared no longer navigable and in 1938, it was filled in.
|Old Basin Canal, late 1920's.
|Old Basin Canal, late 1800's.
|Turning Basin, Carondelet Canal, downtown New Orleans, early 1900's
|The link to this page is:
Back to Old New Orleans
Whispers - Home
|Charcoal schooner, Old Basin Canal, early 1900's
|Thanks to Larie Tedesco for sharing this photo
of luggers at the Old Basin Canal, 1908