|Old Orleans Parish Criminal Court
Old Parish Prison
|The building above was constructed in the 1880's and served as the
Orleans Parish Criminal Court until 1931. The parish prison was
directly behind the court building. The date of this photo is unknown,
but it looks as though it might have been taken in the 1920's. This
location is where the main branch of the public library stands today.
|1864 Photo of Old Parish Prison
Third image from top credit:
Infrogmation @ Wikimedia.Commons
The link to this page is:
Back to Old New Orleans
Whispers - Home
|A new Criminal Court building was constructed in 1931, at Tulane Avenue
and Broad Street. It's still in use. This photo was taken just after
the building was completed.
|Above & below: The old parish prison, which pre-dated the prison shown in the top
two photos. This complex was constructed in 1834 and closed in about 1894. It was
in a different location, bounded by Orleans, St. Ann, Treme and Marais Streets.
|On Elk Place, looking toward the Criminal Court building, about 1900.
|Sketches above & photo below are from the older prison shown directly above.
Left, prison execution yard; right, door to a cell in old prison; below, prison gate.
|Before construction of the Court - The illustration above was published in "The Mascot"
newspaper in 1888, it reads: "Corner of Common and Basin Streets, Where First
Recorder's Court and Police Jail will be located." (This section of Common Street is
now Tulane Avenue and this section of Basin Street is now Loyola Avenue.)
|The scene today: Library stands where the old courthouse used to be.