|The link to this page is:
Back to Old New Orleans
Whispers - Home
|This house was erected in this location, in the 900 block of Burgundy Street, in
1780 for Gabriel Peyroux de la Roche Molive, a native of Mortane, France. But
it is actually older than that. It originally stood on the plantation on Bayou Road
which Gabriel Peyroux had purchased in 1777. It was dismantled and rebuilt
by Maurice Milon, builder - the first house erected on this square (city block).
Francois Caue, the father of Gabriel Peyroux's wife, Maria Susana Caue, had
purchased this entire empty square in 1754. The house escaped the great fire
of 1788 and remained in the Peyroux family until 1850, along with much of the
rest of the square. It's now a part of the Hotel St. Pierre complex and is listed
on the National Register of Historic Places.
|Gabriel Peyroux House
One of the oldest houses in the French Quarter
|The house was constructed utilizing the French Colonial brique-
entre-poteaux (bricks-between-posts) architecture and is one of
the few extant examples of this construction in New Orleans.
|Detail of the nearly 240-year-old bricks.