|St. Paul's Episcopal Church
|The St. Paul's Episcopal Church building pictured above, located on Camp
Street, was constructed in about 1854 and remained in use until 1891, when it
was almost totally destroyed by fire. The sketch was made in 1876.
Photos above & below: The church was rebuilt on the same site on Camp
Street after the fire and completed in the early 1890's. This building was used
until the 1950's, when the property was expropriated for the construction of a
new Mississippi River Bridge. Property was acquired in Lakeview and a new
church was erected on the corner of Canal Boulevard and Harrison Avenue.
The levee failures in 2005 decimated Lakeview, including St. Paul's Church and
the homes of most of her parishioners, but, both the church and school have
been painstakingly renovated.
The photo below is of St. Paul's on Camp Street, on what looks to be a Mardi
Gras day in the 1950's.